Whew. That title is a mouthful. But honestly? How could you not want to devour anything including those ingredients? Apples and pears-yum. Bourbon-swoon. Toasted Almonds-the cherry (nut?) on top of a perfect dessert.
I don’t know about you, but dropping temperatures make me crave everything cozy and warm: mashed potatoes, coffee, freshly-baked cookies and…wine. Yeah, you heard me. Wine warms the soul! In this case…it’s bourbon.
Now let me say: do NOT be afraid of the bourbon. It simply adds a rich, subtly sweet flavor to the crisp. When I added the bourbon, I decided to enhance the flavor even further, which is where a squeeze of orange juice and a pinch of zest came in. Bourbon and orange are the perfect marriage in cocktails, so I figured, why not in a crisp? Well, luckily, I was right.
I swear my mind isn’t constantly focused on alcohol, although the last two paragraphs might refute that thought.
Anyways, the apples and pears are covered with a crumble of oats, brown sugar and then…toasted almonds. If you’ve never toasted nuts before, now is the time. They taste 1000% times better and add the perfect crunch.
Apple and Pear Crisp with Bourbon and Toasted Almonds
For the topping:
- 1/2 c. cold butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/4 almond slivers, toasted *see note below for toasting instructions*
For the filling:
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- Juice of 1/2 medium orange
- 1 T maple syrup
- 3 T bourbon
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin *I used 3 Gala apples *
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced thing *I used Bartlett pears*
1. First, prepare the topping. In a medium-sized bowl. Combine the oats, flours, cinnamon. Using your hands, two knives or a pastry cutter, combine the butter into the mixture until it resembles a crumb-like texture. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
2. Next, dry toast the almonds. Heat a small pan to medium-low heat and pour in the almonds. Stir the almonds around the pan occasionally to prevent them from burning. Let them toast in the pan for ten minutes, or until they are golden in color. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 9×13 pan with non-stick spray.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the apples, pears, melted butter, vanilla, orange zest, orange juice, maple syrup and bourbon until well combined.
4. Pour the apple and pear mixture into the pan and spread into an even layer. Take the topping mixture from the fridge and disperse over the top. Sprinkle the toasted almond slivers over the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.