One of my favorite things to eat at Mexican restaurants is enchiladas…and nachos, and quesadillas! I just love the flavor combinations. Spicy. Salty. Fresh. Hot. Sweet. To rewind:
After a quick strength-training workout that looked a lot like this:
AND eating a lunch that looked like this:
(FRO YO I’VE MISSED YOU!)
I decided I should make a soup that was veggie packed, healthy and looked like this:
Spicy Mexican Soup
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 chipotles in adobo, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1/2 c. enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 can black beans
- In a medium sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Add chilies, beans and chipotle in adobo, stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce and cornstarch mixture.
- Mix to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Top with cheese and avocado, if desired.
Yum! Now I just need a margarita and some chips + salsa